Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bananas Foster


I got the idea for this from the golf course restaurant by my parent's house. My dad would always take me there for my birthday dinner and I remember the best part of the night was the end-- the chef would come out with a skillet of flaming bananas that he would pour over vanilla ice cream. Hence, the rum flavoring in this. :) I love it.

Bananas Foster
5 ripe bananas
1 14-oz can peaches in light syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp rum flavoring
3/4 cup brown sugar
Vanilla bean ice cream
1 package pastry sheets (I use Pillsbury Farm frozen sheets. You can find them by the frozen pie crusts in a regular grocery store)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cut 9 equal squares out of the puff pastry sheet. (There are two sheets in each package, but for this recipe you will only be using one.) Place them on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and flaky.

Skin bananas and cut lengthwise twice. You should have 3 long banana pieces from each. Lay these lengthwise in a large skillet and cover with the brown sugar, cinnamon, rum flavoring, and peach juice. Reserve the peaches for later use. Let simmer until bananas are soft and the syrup thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. To assemble, place a pastry square on serving dish and top with ice cream and bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment