Thursday, October 7, 2010

Coconut Wedding Cake










Ready for a surprise? I'm the one who got married! The food at my wedding was also special because my family and friends made it. ALL of it. I am the luckiest girl I know.

One of the wonderful women who helped pull this all together was Peggy Nelson. You can find her blog here. I was planning on making both the wedding cake and groom's cake, but as I should have guessed, time ran out! Peggy and my sister came to the rescue by frosting and decorating the groom's cake... didn't it turn out wonderfully? She also made the beautiful mexican wedding cookies in the pictures above. She and her family have been good friends of ours for years, and I was incredibly grateful for the help.

The wedding cake was five layers, each with a different flavor: carrot, spice, vanilla with raspberry, coconut, and plain vanilla. All of it was covered with cream cheese frosting and coconut. It was certainly a labor of love, but it was fun to try something new (and saved us a lot of money!).

The pictures above are all from Tami Shellenburg. Remember Tami? I did her wedding cake last year when she was married. Her photography business is thriving and you can find her website here. It's so great to have talented friends!

And.... here is a picture of my new husband! We obviously both liked the cake. Isn't he cute?

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of coconut, but it is definitely beautiful! And the chocolate cake looks delicious... mmmmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Nicole! My mom told me how beautiful everything looked and she was right. I am so impressed you made such picture perfect, delicious cakes for your own wedding!

    So can I hire you out for Madeline's wedding? We'll give her about 18-20 years...but I am booking it now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I helped a friend of mine make a coconut cake for a wedding about a year ago, and can I just say I know exactly how many eggs need to be cracked and separated! What beautiful photos you have. I wish you both all the best. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What a lovely dessert bar and so nice it was made by friends. A night to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I wish I could have been at your wedding! All of that food looks delicious and I am very very impressed by that coconut cake.

    ReplyDelete