Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Leesa Turns 22!

My roommate and dear friend Leesa turned 22 yesterday! Happy birthday to her. I met Leesa just two months ago, but she has quickly become one of my best friends! She's always up for a laugh and we have tons of fun hanging out in our little apartment.

Leesa is very unique in her eating habits because she was diagnosed with Celiacs disease last year. This means she can't eat gluten (which is in 99% of baked goods). She has done so well and has been a great example to me of self discipline... I don't know if I would be strong enough to do what she does.

Since it was her birthday, she needed a cake! I was really nervous about this at first because I've never baked gluten-free other than some cupcakes awhile back. Sarah and I looked and looked online for a good cake recipe, which we ended up finding on foodgawker. (Side note: if any of you love looking at pictures of beautiful food, check this site out. It's my new favorite.) The cake is really strange sounding because it is made with black beans. Yes. I know. Gross, right? WRONG! This cake didn't taste like beans at all. I am not even a fan of chocolate cake and I loved this! Please, please try it. I promise you won't be disappointed.


Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
(Adapted from Healthy Indulgences)
1 can unseasoned black beans (15 oz)
5 large eggs
1 Tbs vanilla
6 Tbs unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prepare a 9 inch round pan by greasing lightly, placing a 9 inch round of parchment paper in the bottom, greasing lightly again, and dusting with cocoa powder.

Drain and rinse beans, shake to remove excess water. Place beans, 3 of the eggs, and vanilla in a blender and puree until completely smooth. Whisk together cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl, set aside.

Beat butter with sugar until smooth and light in color. Add eggs one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Pour bean batter into egg mixture and mix until smooth. Finally, add cocoa mixture and beat on high for 1 minute. Pour into prepared pan and hit bottom of pan firmly against countertop a few times to remove any air bubbles.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting. This cake is best after left out for a few hours so all of the flavors can come together. We served this with slightly sweetened whipped cream, caramel sauce, and a crushed Skor bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment